The interior design of a home is a struggle for many.. Design and
adornment ideas abound, but putting ideas together in a comprehensive
plan that flows from room to room is a bit overwhelming.
The keys to interior design are:
- Is the house for your own personal occupation or for resale?
- Understand how you want each room to function - is it a room
for relaxing, for creative inspiration, more loud and energetic
activity or to relate in conversation.
- Know how colors affect your mood - known colors have expected
mood altering properties for most people. Knowing which mood each
color entices is a good starting point.
- How will the body interact with the room - is it to be in a
relaxed state for longer periods, or short stays with bursts of
energy, where furniture should not be restrictive.
- How does this room relate, activity wise, to neighbouring rooms.
Are they likely to engage in similar activities, or should their
be a psychological transformation between the rooms
- How often do you like to change your environment - picking up
neutral tones for large areas like flooring and major walls, and
using highlights in soft furnishings, art and features walls gives
you the flexibility to change regularly without great expense
- What budget do you have now? Are you likely to have more to
spend in the near future that will tempt you to want to upgrade
your current design?
In this section we will provide you with answers to these questions,
and help you move forward with your design elements.
I always prefer to start all my home remodeling projects with the
end in mind and work backwards. Far too often the structure is completed
when owners find out that gorgeous new lounger just doesn't fit,
by a mere few inches.
The more you can visualise your finished room, decor included,
before the designers pencil gets put to paper, the more likely you
will love the result, and the cheaper it will be.
Interior Design Links
Design Ideas - Are you ready to change the look of your home
but don't know where to start? Interior Design Ideas is the answer.
You'll find helpful advice, tips and interior decorating ideas
Back to Top